Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Math Presentation

One of our assignments in our Math Block was to write a three day lesson unit, and then teach one of the lessons to my classmates. I was assigned fractions. To be honest, I was kind of excited to get this topic, but the other girl was dreading it. We both presented today, which also happened to be the day of our final... but more on that in a second.

I was really proud of my lesson! I designed it for third grade, and made it a very simple introduction to fractions. The day I taught (day three of my unit) focused on taking the numeric or word form of a fraction, and transferring that to a manipulative. We did a review of the previous days, and then played around with fraction pies for a few minutes, and for their assessment they made paper plate pizzas. Each blank plate had a division of pizza paperclipped to it (for example, 3/8 veggie, 2/8 cheese, 3/8 pepperoni), and they had to color their pizzas and write the corresponding fraction under the slices. Everyone, including my teacher, enjoyed the activity and I made a 100 on my presentation. When an A is 95 - 100, that means a lot!

This was the example I made. And of course, I thought I had come up with an original idea, but after searching on Pinterest I saw that it had, in fact, been done before! There really is nothing new under the sun :)


In other news, our final was really easy. It was open book/open note. I'll be really surprised if I don't make a 100 on it, as well.

Tomorrow is our Language Arts final, which is just a test on Praxis terms and I have flashcards made for all of those. We also have our science "final", which is making homemade ice-cream. We also decided to bring in other goodies, so I'm waking up at 5:30 to make Pigs in a Blanket. My classmates better like me :) Thursday is going to be the kicker. My social studies UBD (which still needs a LOT of work) and my social studies final are that day. I can do it... I think!

I decided to wear my favorite shoes today to give me a boost of confidence during my presentation:
You can't go wrong when you have cats on your shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment