Monday, April 8, 2013

Thankfulness

Y'all. I had butterflies in my stomach all weekend about teaching my first set of lessons today. I put effort into my lesson plan and materials, but just because those are great doesn't mean the kids will be receptive to your lesson. But it turns out I had nothing to worry about!

I wish I had gotten more pictures, but I can't really use my phone at the school. We learned about text features in general. I made a chart with definitions and we read them aloud as a class. Then I had another poster-board that I made into a grid with different grids labeled with different text features. Then, I had cardstock cards with different examples of each text feature. I got volunteers to come match each card with its proper spot on the grid, and then we discussed why that was the correct choice. I gave them time to copy down the definitions (Mrs. D wants me to give them a vocabulary quiz at the end of the week), and then we moved back to our desks, and used the Social Studies book for a text-feautres scavenger hunt.

The first class spent too long on the drawing sections, something that I realized quickly. I made the second class complete all of the writing before they moved onto the drawing. They all did a fabulous job; I was so proud!

Mrs. D liked it so much that she kept all of my materials to use for her third period (I only teach through 10:45). It's just really encouraging to know you are on the right track. It's days like today that I remember why I love doing what I do! 1 lesson down, about 18 to go!

How cute is this Theodore Roosevelt? Looking through all their pictures tonight put the biggest smile on my face!

1 comment:

  1. You officially have a follower, my Mississippi friend! I'm so glad your lesson went well! Enjoyed reading your post!
    Laura
    Peace, Love, and First Grade

    ReplyDelete