Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Sometimes I Procrastinate.

And by sometimes, I mean a lot of the time.

I knew all semester I had three unit plans due during finals week. 

And then, something horrible happened. I went to the doctor because I thought I had bronchitis or pleurisy, and the next thing I knew I was being rushed to the ER with severe anemia and blood clots in my lungs. At 23. I proceeded to spend ten not so glorious days in the hospital on bedrest, and fell WAY behind on my work.

Fortunately, the next week was Spring Break. And I did do a lot of work to catch up, but it still wasn't enough time. I finished my math unit, and some stuff for other classes, but my language arts and social studies units still hung in the air, not completed...

So what did I do? I waited until the night before Language Arts was due. I armed myself with coffee and my fake glasses (maybe I'm a 'hipster', but I feel smarter when I wear them) and worked late into the night slaving away over this unit. I thought I may have produced work that deserved a B. I mean, it was the last minute. But apparently I work well under stress, because I got my grade back today and...

 That's right. And not just that... she asked if she could keep an extra copy to show to next year's class. What the WHAT?

For our science "final", we all brought in food, and then made homemade vanilla ice-cream using the flip method. It was bizarre, but it was yummy!


Now... the rest of my evening will be working under that wonderful pressure that inspired a great Language Arts unit, and thus writing my Social Studies one. I currently have a million tabs open on The Great Depression... wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog =) I really like your advice- I believe it is VERY important to just be yourself on your own blog. I don't see a "follow" button but I am now your newest subscriber and supporter of your journey to becoming a teacher! This is only my 3rd year teaching and everyday has been a learning experience since the day I started my credentialing program! Hang in there- you WILL get your own classroom soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I, too, am one of those people that work pretty well under pressure. Keep up that great work....and glad you are feeling better.

    I am so excited to see another Mississippi (almost) teacher...You wil definitely have your own classroom very soon!!

    I look forward to reading more of your blog!

    Dee
    Mrs. B's Nook

    ReplyDelete